Wednesday, April 28, 2010


-I found these gems in my lunar craft last night, 427:

The problem for even the best-intentioned environmental action is that it imagines that it can confront a problem that is standing outside it. Confront the bulldozers. Confront the chainsaws. Confront Monsanto. Fight the power. What the environmental movement is not very good at is acknowledging that something in the very fabric of our daily life is deeply anti-nature as well as anti-human. It inhabits not just bad guy CEOs at Monsanto and Weyerhauser but nearly every working American, environmentalist included. Which is a way of saying that the Barbaric Heart is not unique to capitalism even if it finds the rationality of capitalism very comfortable for its purposes. The Barbaric Heart also inhabits many of those who are most vulnerable to capitalism, and it can function even within those who see themselves as capitalism's enemy.~Curtis White




My attitudes on such questions are dramatically inconsistent. For (a) I regard any gifts that I have, and any good that I do, as a matter of pure good fortune; so that the idea that I deserve credit for them is some strong sense seems absurd. But (b) I do not regard others’ achievements and good actions as pure good fortune, but feel admiration (and, where appropriate, gratitude) of a true-responsibility-presupposing kind. Furthermore, (c), I do not regard bad things that I do as mere bad luck, but have true-responsibility-presupposing attitudes to them (which may admittedly fade with time). Finally, (d), I do (in everyday life) naturally regard bad things other people do as explicable in ways that make true-responsibility-presupposing blame inappropriate. I suspect that this pattern may not be particularly uncommon.~Galen Strawson





And?

(I've been poking around at the sync whole, for about 42 minutes and all I came up with is this:)

No comments:

Post a Comment